heyy guys (: hmm i haven't chked this blog for ages. like since 26th dec. haha.
ok since eric has requested and since i'm doing my obk journal to hand up i shall give a brief summary of obk.
day one 271204:
day two 281204:
- touchdown in seoul. very very cold. our noses were threatening to fall off and sang baorong and i were slapping on moisturiser like nobody's business.
- arrived at base camp after lunch and abt 4 hours on the coach. learnt basic outdoor skills [tent-pitching, operating the gas stove/lamp/heater etc]. weili andy sang baorong n i were all in team pig. *oink*
- managed to cook dinner after some initial confusion. it tasted really gd cos everyone was cold n hungry. weili didn't have enough to eat.
- then slept in our down sleeping bags in our tents for the first time. it was surprisingly warm, except tt all our feet were freezing.
- the guys woke up early to boil water n ended up cooking breakfast too cos the girls took really long to get ready. but don't get too impressed with the guys yet, it was only instant porridge.
- then our first taste of korean mountainous terrain. rappelling [abseiling] and tyrolean traversing [flying fox across the gorge!]. u could tell whenever baorong stepped off the cliff by her screams.
- after tt, had our first hike, though we nv got to our intended destination cos it was getting dark [sunset's just after 5pm].
- changed for the first time since leaving s'pore. our tent [me sang baorong velda] spent really long and turned the tent upside down looking for baorong's long john pants. it was later relocated in her bag.
- after dinner, our instructor [jiho] made us draw our "river of life". over hot chocolate! our favourite drink in the world. haha. sang drew hers in pink.
day three 291204:
day four 301204:
- it snowed today! at first it was really light and short. and then as we set of on our hike it got heavier and heavier so visibility was very low.
- today was navigation exercise. sort of like obs where u hike to find 3 chkpts. managed to find the first 2, then missed a turn and got lost. in the end our obk instructors had to lead us back cos it was getting dark. and we had to exit the mountain via a temple. damn embarrassing la, the temple caretakers were qt horrified with us cos we were killing their plants. and the chanting monks were trying very hard not to stare.
day five 311204:
- today was solo day. so we hiked to this wooden hut where we were dispatched to our locations. the 3 guys in our grp were the upper limits, so everyone moved off in 3 diff directions from the hut. sang baorong and i stupidly decided to follow weili and had to end up crossing a river. and by crossing it means hopping from one rock to the other and trying not to fall in.
- for solo we were supposed to read letters from our parents and write a letter to ourselves tt they'll send to us in 6 mths. but we all didn't expect solo to last only one hr plus so me sang baorong who had great plans to do other things like write our journals didn't manage to write our letters and had to complete it at camp.
- expedition! this morn everyone [even the girls] woke up really early cos we didn't wanna miss the bus to the trail head and have to hike 20km there. but cos we were so efficient and chainsaw [the other team] was really really slow, all the pigs strapped on our backpacks and sat in one row to stare impatiently at them.
- reached our trail after a relatively short bus ride. the initial part of the trail was damn deceiving. it was well-paved and everyth, and by lunch we'd covered 6 of the 9km to the summit [which was 1.3km high!]. then came the really really steep final 3km or slow. super demoralising cos it was so steep tt the lateral distance covered was very little, so the last 2km passed really really slowly. baorong n sang were sick and drowning in their mucus. and some of the girls were really tired so we were moving really slowly.
- imagine our happiness when we finally reached our shelter for the night! but it was very simple, only one big double decker bunk with no mattress so we were in our sleeping bags. all the pig girls slept on top, all the chainsaw girls slept on the bottom, and all the guys slept on the floor. oh and the caretaker was this grumpy mountain man who threw the guys stuff all over the place and liked to kick/whack us. he smacked baorong's butt!
- dinner was cup noodles. weili didn't have enough to eat and had to resort to drinking the last bit of soup and noodles i couldn't finish.
- and we were very cold tt night even with 30 ppl sharing body heat in one room. it was minus five degrees in the bunk! and about minus 15 outside. then a few of us counted down to the new yr! it was very boliao, like "10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 HAPPY NEW YEAR!" zzzz...
day six 010105:
day seven 020105:
- caught the first sunrise of the year! had to squeeze with many many koreans for space on the peak. weili and i were qt horrified with baorong who was taking photos of the sun [when it wasn't even visible over the mountains yet] like nobody's business.
- today's hike was qt easy once we'd gotten over the initial uphill part. it was qt a moment of pride when we ran up to the highest pt of our expedition hand in hand, pigs and chainsaws:) but aft tt was a very easy downhill hike, although we had to wear our crampons to improve our grip cos at some pts we had to walk over ice.
- got to this snowfield in a valley where we pitched our tents again. our only night of true outdoor camping! instant rice for dinner, it's qt ingenious, u pull this strip to open a packet of water which then reacts with this pack of chemicals to heat up ur rice. no heating reqd at all! unless of course ur packet of water has frozen to ice *grumbles*..
- sang baorong n i then had the experience of our lives shitting on a toilet bowl [well sort of] which had a padded seat and was clean for the first time in 6 days. the view of the korean tradition pines and the clear starry sky was really fantastic and our butts were freezing at minus 18 degrees. and cos we were the only 3 there we could actually take our time. which was a gd thing cos we were all super constipated.
- apparently i was the only one who slept well tt night. the rest were either kept awake by huge rocks under the tent, or by the howling mountain wind tt was threatening to blow our tents away.
day eight 030105:
- final day of expedition. started off having to walk 10m apart without being allowed to talk to anyone, with jiho in the lead walking really slowly so we could have the time to appreciate nature instead of focussing on where the person in front of u last put his/her feet so u won't walk into a hole or sth.
- it was a super super windy day! the wind was so strong tt if u were trying to step when it blew, u'll be blown off ur feet, literally. so everyone had to slant 45 degrees into the wind so tt we could walk straight, and sang and i kept having to grab each other so we wouldn't fly away.
- then baorong was part of a conspiracy masterminded by jiho, and faked a knee injury, while jiho and david [our obs instructor] disappeared. and mingquan was so nice he carried her 10kg backpack for the rest of the way! luckily weili knew the whole master plan so he didn't care abt anyth, so sang n i just followed him, and thankfully didn't get our feelings cheated by baorong.
- finally got to our shelter after briefly getting lost. cos our evil obk intructors chose a shelter tt wasn't on the map, so we could only bash from building to building and hope it's correct.
- and we had our first bath in 7 days!!:) sang baorong and i initially didn't intend to bathe so they showed us this room with 10 sinks only. but since we had the whole room to ourselves we basically stripped to our underwear and contorted ourselves into strange positions so we could stick our heads/arms/legs into the sink to wash. then brushed teeth like 3 or 4 times, washed face another 5 times or so. the water was damn grey aft we were done, haha.
- had a civilised korean dinner aft tt where we could refill our food as much as we wanted so weili was damn happy. followed by bena giving full body massages to a lot of ppl. i was very happy to feel useful:)
- and we could sleep in nth but our longjohns for the first time in a wk! and not have to sort our trash into paper/plastic/metal/used batteries and gas canisters. very shuang3:)
day nine 040105:
- got to visit a seaport town today! our first real glimpse of korean culture. 5 of us and a few other guys had bbq seafood! with giant mussels tt were almost A4 size! well baorong mostly just sat there and pissed me and sang off by complaining abt our cruelty at bbqing live seafood. and she actually wanted to take an octopus home as a pet. wth.
- aft tt went back to base camp, and basically lazed the rest of the day away or played frisbee. apparently by now we'd gotten used to the cold cos at zero degrees, everyone was like, "Wah damn hot!" n stripping to our longjohns.
*andy pukes a lot in between. exact times are unclear.
- left base camp this morn. oh and before tt took photos with our instructors. sang and baorong were, erm, very happy with a CERTAIN photo. not so convenient to say here. haha.
- made our way to seoul, chked into our hotel which used to be the athlete's quarters at the 1988 seould olympics. horrified to realise tt 6 of us had to squeeze into one room tt was maybe half the size of our hotel room aft prom.
- then went shopping. didn't buy much cos they happily took us to this super ex place, somewhat like paragon. so we ended up going to eat ginseng chicken. mingquan got food poisoning from tt though. and then i shared this 32cm tall ice cream with him and he passed it to me, and during dinner where sang baorong weili and i shared food i passed it to sang and weili too. tt's my theory at least. and meanwhile andy also got food poisoning from eating street food.
- aft dinner, more shopping at a cheaper, less upmarket place so i bought a lot more stuff.
- then returned to our hotel where..
- 12am: bena pukes and has diarrhoea.
- 2am: bena pukes some more.
- 4am: bena pukes again and blacks out on the toilet floor for abt half an hour.
- 4.30am: sang has a stomachache.
- 5am: weili pukes.
day ten 050105:
nth terribly exciting happened today, besides flying back to singapore.
yupp tt abt summarises our obk experience.
looking forward to class dinner. everyone come k? loveya & missya:)
hi m back from camp...
haha qt bored, that's why blogging in this apparently dead blog
anyway, how are u ppl getting on?
me? having field camp at the end of next week, same for wangning and hk since we are in the same company
sucks la, cos u noe its like goin to be shit, and no handphones!!! (wth) (not unexpected tho)
and we have finished the ptp phase of our bmt (that phase tt those who got silver or gold for napfa din haf to do)
and we have another slightly less than two months to go before passing out... yeh! 1 month over
hey guys, i know there is no more 2so3f 2004 in rj but it still exist here right? not like its members are all gone right?
so like once in a while update us on what u ppl are doin lor... like there was no follow up on OBK
sounds interesting and i (or we) wanna hear
and come on! plan a chinese new year outing! we ns guys are going to have a freaking long 5 (five!) day break for chinese new year (from CNY eve to tt sunday)... good time to meet right?
ha, hope to see more things (no, more new entries) on the blog nex time i book out (tt's hari raya)
bye, and all the best